Public Water Supply District # 1 of Jefferson County, Missouri was the first water district formed in Jefferson County. We purchase 100% of the water used from Missouri American Water Company (formerly St. Louis County Water Company) through three metered connectons. We are a not for profit political corporation of the state of Missouri.
The District was created by a Decree of the Circuit Courts of Jefferson County, Missouri on June 3, 1958. Construction started in 1959 and the first phase completed in 1960. With the dynamic growth of the area in 1963 water mains and 2 ground storage tanks with pumping stations, 1- 600,000 gallons tank and 1-400,000 gallon tank were added. In 1966 and 1968 major water main extensions were added to the district. in 1973 a new connection to St. Louis County Water Company, new pumping station and larger water mains were added. In 1976 a 1,000,000 gallon Hydropillar and more water main extensions were added. In 2005 we added 3 back-up generators at key sites to better serve our customers.
Public Water Supply District # 1 serves approximately 15 square miles in the Northeastern section of Jefferson County with approximately 7,661 service connections and a populaton of approximately 20,000. We service a mix of single and multi-family residential, commercial, light and heavy industrial customers. In 2015 we delivered 721 million gallons of water to our customers.